The journey starts on our front page, which is dedicated to reframing our notions of disability and Neurodivergent, sometimes abbreviated as ND, means having a mind that functions in ways which diverge significantly from the dominant societal standards of “normal.”Neurodivergent is quite a broad term. Neurodivergence (the state of being... More. Reframing is a critical first step.
From there, our site steps through our four pillars.
Real help against the onslaught. Staying alive is a lot of work for a The label "disabled" means so much to me. It means I have community. It means I have rights. It means I can be proud. It means I can affirm myself... More person in an ableist society.
The place where we belong does not exist. We will build it. Anti-ableist space for passion-based, human-centered learning compatible with Neurodiversity is the diversity of human minds, the infinite variation in neurocognitive functioning within our species.NEURODIVERSITY: SOME BASIC TERMS & DEFINITIONS Neurodiversity is a biological fact. It’s not a perspective, an approach, a... More and the The social model of disability is a reaction to the dominant medical model of disability which in itself is a functional analysis of the body as machine to be fixed... More.
But, there is something sociology must do. It is our disciplinary imperative to understand societies. Just as communication studies understands forms of communication, sociology must understand the social. If we... More, neurodiversity studies, disability studies, and syncretism, in the open. Improving science by restoring the humanities.
Stay relevant in a constantly changing world. Dismantle A system that places value on people's bodies and minds based on societally constructed ideas of normality, intelligence, excellence, desirability, and productivity. These constructed ideas are deeply rooted in anti-Blackness,... More in your spaces. Enable dignity through access.
Ready to begin?
The journey begins with reframing.
Want to skip to a particular page or section? Here’s a table of contents.
Art and Announcements
- Stop, Hammer Time
- Get a Dose of Social Science
- Confirm Autistic Common Knowledge
- Change Your Language
- Are You Qualified?: Don’t Confuse Your Lecture with Our Life Experience
- Science Is Not Static: Reframe
- The Medical Model Is Essentially Individualist
- Shift the Discourse: Toward a Biopsychosocial Model
- Say You’re Sorry
- Check Your Gaze
- Is Your Training from the 1940s?
- Are You Really Evidence-Based?
- Are You Disregarding Harm and Profiting From Our Misery?
- Are You Feeding White Supremacist Ideology?
- Useful Research
We serve our loved people so we can keep on livin‘ through the onslaught.
Help us and join us by reading on, and reframing.
Staying alive is a lot of work for a disabled person in an ableist society…DISABILITY VISIBILITY: FIRST PERSON STORIES FROM THE 21ST CENTURY
Disability justice (and disability itself) has the potential to fundamentally transform everything we think about quality of life, purpose, work, relationships, belonging.DISABILITY VISIBILITY: FIRST-PERSON STORIES FROM THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
- ✊ Enable Dignity
- 🫀🧠🌍 Perceptual Worlds
- 🌈🤲 Quick Low Cost Things to Make a Difference for Autistic People
- 🌈♿️🎪 How to Make Your Events Accessible to the Disability Community
- 🌏🏗 Universal Design
- 🫀🧠💥 Neuroception and Sensory Load
- 🤢 In Our Own Words: The Complex Sensory Experiences of Autistic Adults
- 🎪 Sensory Environment Checklist
- 🧰 Adapting the Environment
- 🌈 Checklist for Autism-Friendly Environments
- 💬 Identity First Language: Thinking differently requires speaking differently.
- Interaction Access
- Education Access
- Healthcare Access
- We Pay, We Exist, We Believe, We Create, We Serve
- Keep on Livin’
- Let Us Be Our Real Selves
- Be Good, Be Loud
- Code of Conduct
- → Give: You to Us
- ← Give: Us to You
- 🤲 Volunteer: Load-share the Friction of Our Existence
- 🙏 All Together Now
We exist as friction. The work that we do; it’s wildly painful.