“Web-Based Conceptual Portmanteau” is an internet based expression of meaning that relies on web-based technologies to present a claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet with at least two of the following features as inherent to the text structure:
- embedded definitions, which are inextricably attached to the claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet.
- variant phrases of similar/different registers, including registers of differentOur friends and allies at Randimals have a saying, What makes us different, makes all the difference in the world.Randimals We agree. Randimals are made up of two different animals... More readingThere are three types of reading: eye reading, ear reading, and finger reading.The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan: A Blueprint for Renewing Your Child's Confidence and Love of Learning Most schools and... More levels and technical registers which use jargon, which are inextricably attached to the claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet. Various phrasings of similar register, but substituted words, is also a feature.
- the expression of meaning shown visually through images, giphys, or other graphics referenced from external sources, which are inextricably attached to the claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet. Formats include: JPEG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, PNG, WebP, SVG, and others.
- the expression of meaning shown visually through videos referenced from external sources, which are inextricably attached to the claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet (video with audio does not count as two distinct features). Formats include: MP4, MOV, MKV, and others.
- the expression of meaning articulated through audio referenced from external sources, which are inextricably attached to the claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet (audio with video does not count as two distinct features). Formats include: MP3, WAV, AIFF, AU, PCM, and others.
- contextual explainer paragraphs which provide more broad context of the claim, argument, sentence, or text snippet itself or its connection with adjacent content.
“Web-based conceptual portmanteau” was invented in order to convey the more precise meaning of claims, arguments, text snippets, and sentences for the purposeSelf-determination Theory (SDT) is... — a model, a macro theory, of human motivation. It’s one of several models of human motivation, but it’s one that has been confirmed over and... More of enabling comprehension and understanding in an educational context.
We believe that the future of text includes a compound, multi-media representation of a claim which may be expressed as features in a package, such as our “node” structure. Text is two dimensional, but with the capabilities enabled by web-based technologies, the future of text can be multidimensional.The Future of Text || – Future Text Publishing
- Embedded Definitions
- Variant Phrases of Similar/Different Registers
- The Expression of Meaning Shown Visually Through Images
- The Expression of Meaning Shown Visually Through Videos
- The Expression of Meaning Articulated Through Audio
- Contextual Explainer Paragraphs
- Show, Don’t Tell
- Nutshell: Make Expandable, Embeddable Explanations
- Show Then Tell
Variant Phrases of Similar/Different Registers
The Expression of Meaning Shown Visually Through Images
The Expression of Meaning Shown Visually Through Videos
The Expression of Meaning Articulated Through Audio
Contextual Explainer Paragraphs
Image credit: The Future of Text || – Future Text Publishing
Show, Don’t Tell
They wrote up a case study that goes into more depth, but I want to highlight how the informational scrolling pages they built (nicknamed “scrollytelling”) quite literally highlights the important information, providing relevant linked content to learn more, add citations, or inject some additional personality. The pages blend embedded interactive content to engage you as a reader, video, images, and text. It’s a compelling way to present Warren’s story.
Next time you make something new, think about the different ways you can show, not tell, information to your audience.Show, Don’t Tell | CSS-Tricks – CSS-Tricks
Nutshell: Make Expandable, Embeddable Explanations
Nutshell is a tool to make “expandable, embeddable explanations”Nutshell: make expandable, embeddable explanations
But why not links? Well, unlike links, Nutshell lets you include only the snippet you need, not the whole page. And instead of a jungle of new tabs, your reader stays on one page, keeping their flowEntering flow states - or attention tunnels - is a necessary coping strategy for many of us.Fergus Murray People need to feel appreciated and safe, to give themselves to an... More of reading. Even if you interrupt a sentence, Nutshell recaps the sentence afterwards, so your reader never loses context.
But wait, there’s more! It’s not just text & pictures you can embed! You can also embed interactive playthings, YouTube videos, and – hey, why not – Wikipedia articles. (That includes other languages and Simple Wikipedia, too!)Nutshell: make expandable, embeddable explanations
…the inventor Ted Nelson proposed something called StretchText. The idea was this: you’re reading an article at a high-level, but can “stretch” sentences into more detail. Then you can stretch that detail into more detail, and so on, while everything stays in one continuous context.
(See its original 1967 design document, and Nelson showing it off in a Werner Herzog documentary)Nutshell: make expandable, embeddable explanations
Show Then Tell
New talk! “How To Explain Things Real Good”
- show what made you careThe activities that constitute care are crucial for human life. We defined care in this way: Care is "a species activity that includes everything that we do to maintain, continue,... More
- show then tell
How To Explain Things Real Good (Stanford mini-talk)
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:05 Tricks over Theory
- 02:51 1) Show what made you care
- 05:05 2) Show, then tell
- 08:03 3) Therefore & But, not And Then
- 12:25 4) Write a draft, cut 10%
- 12:47 5) Do real tests, early & often
- 15:24 Conclusion
- 16:37 Credits
Introducing the Gutenberg Interactive Fiction Engine – ArtemioSans
Enjoy our interactive exhibit – MOBA