We use lots of software to run our nonprofit and our learning space. We use and recommend the following.
- Task Management
- Mind Mapping
- Keyboard Launcher
- Keyboard Customizer
- Text Replacement
- Text Manipulation
- Clipboard Manager
- Keyboard Flow
Here’s the thick stack of SaaS we use at StimpunksStimpunk combines “stimming” + “punk” to evoke open and proud stimming, resistance to neurotypicalization, and the DIY culture of punk, disabled, and neurodivergent communities. Instead of hiding our stims, we… More.
- WordPress.com – WebIn essence, the open Web, while not free from governmental and commercial pressures, is about as free from such pressures as a major component of modern capitalist society can be…. More publishing, team communication, a domain of our own
- Element.io – Team communication
- P2 – Team communication and documentation
- 1Password – Team password management and secure document storage
- Toggl Plan – Team task and project management using the powerThe 20th Century political scientist Karl Deutsch said, “Power is the ability not to have to learn.”I quote this statement often, because I think it’s one of the most important… More of timelines and boards
- Google Workspace – Email, calendars, live document editing, file storage
- HubSpot – Customer relationship management, grant management, and sales and donation pipelining that connects with lots of platforms
- QuickBooks – Bookkeeping, payroll, budgeting, money management, invoicing, tax complianceNoncompliance is a social skill.Noncompliance is one of the most important social skills. Noncompliance skills make it possible to say no, even when others want your right to say no to… More
- Hootsuite – Social media management and analytics
- WPForms – Form builder that connects to WordPress, HubSpot, and Zapier
- GiveWP – Donation collection and management platform that connects to WordPress and Zapier
- WooCommerce – Online store that connects to WordPress, HubSpot, and Zapier
- Taxjar – Automated sales tax collection and submittal that connects with WooCommerce
- Zapier – Automation platform that connects all this software together
- GitHub – Revision management and issue tracking
- Setapp – An Apple based software subscription service that gets you access to hundreds of professional apps for macOS, iOS, and iPadOS
- Raindrop.io – Team bookmarking, highlighting, annotation, and document management
Things (macOS, iOS, iPadOS)
Toggl Plan (web, macOS, iOS, iPadOS, Android)
Fantastical (macOS, iOS, iPadOS)
Spark (macOS, iOS, iPadOS, Setapp)
Love your email again
The best email client for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Android | Spark
The best personal email client. Revolutionary email for teams.
Ulysses (macOS, iOS, iPadOS, Setapp)
The Ultimate Writing App for Mac, iPad and iPhone
Powerful features and a pleasant, focused writing experience combined in one tool, made for people who love to write and write a lot — this is Ulysses.Ulysses
Drafts (macOS, iOS, iPadOS)
Where Text Starts
Drafts opens to a new page with the keyboard ready so you can type immediately. Go hands-free with Dictation. Drafts lets you get things down before you forget without fiddling folders, naming, etc.Drafts | Where Text Starts
SideNotes (macOS, Setapp)
SideNotes keeps your notes on the side of the screen. Appears when
you click a little bar or move your cursor to the screen side.
Note down — get it out of your mind — move on.SideNotes – Quick Notes on Screen Side – Apptorium
MindNode (macOS, iOS, iPadOS, Setapp)
Alfred is an award-winning app for macOS which boosts your efficiency with hotkeys, keywords, text expansion and more. Search your Mac and the web, and be more productive with custom actions to control your Mac.Alfred – Productivity App for macOS
Karabiner Elements (macOS)
Karabiner Elements can be used to map your Caps Lock key to Cmd+Ctl+Opt+Shift. This serves as a Hyper key.
Textexpander (macOS, iOS, iPadOS)
TextSoap (macOS, Setapp)
Powerful text transformations with just a click!
TextSoap – Automate Your Text Cleanup
Stop doing this stuff by hand
TextSniper (macOS, Setapp)
Extract Text From Anywhere
Instantly capture non-selectable text from YouTube videos, PDFs, images, online courses, screencasts, presentations, webpages, video tutorials, photos, etc. It’s so simple and easy as taking a screenshot with a built-in snipping tool for Mac.TextSniper – Capture and extract any text from your Mac’s screen | images
Paste (macOS, iOS, iPadOS, Setapp)
A better way to copy and paste
Paste – Clipboard manager for Mac, iPhone, and iPad
Paste stores everything you copy on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad, so it’s always there whenever you need it.
Keyboard Maestro (macOS)
Automate applications or web sites, text or images, simple or complex, on command or scheduled. You can automate virtually anything.Keyboard Maestro 10.1.1: Work Faster with Macros for macOS
Rogue Amoeba (macOS)
If you work with audio at all on macOS, get the tools from Rogue Amoeba.
PopClip appears when you select text with your mouse on your Mac. Instantly copy & paste, and access actions like search, spelling, dictionary and many, many more.PopClip for Mac
Ryan: This lists• Progress in human understanding has become increasingly complex and overwhelming.• Checklists help prevent serious but easily avoidable mistakes.• Checklists should be as short as possible, include all essential steps… More some of the hotkeys and applications that constitute my core productivity flowEntering flow states – or attention tunnels – is a necessary coping strategy for many of us.Fergus Murray People need to feel appreciated and safe, to give themselves to an… More on macOS.
My workflowWorkflow thinking is the act of reading knowledge work as modular and intertwined with technologies. Through workflow thinking, writers break any particular task into a series of smaller steps and… More is very plain text and Markdown heavy.
I’m a text and information worker, and these are some of my tools.
Hyper – Karabiner Elements maps my Caps Lock key to Cmd+Ctl+Opt+Shift. This serves as my Hyper key. It also serves as an escape key when pressed and released (as opposed to using it as a modifier in a chord with other keys). This dual behavior is very useful. Launching with a Hyper key chord and then dismissing with the Hyper key is nice flow. If you have an app or miniwindow that doesn’t dismiss when it’s hotkey is pressed again, try putting it on a dual behavior Hyper key so you don’t have to reach for Escape or Cmd+w.
<KM> – This indicates the keybinding is handled by Keyboard Maestro, a favorite workflow automation tool.
Core flow runs through the spacebar.
- Cmd+space = Open Alfred
- Cmd+Opt+space = Launch Ulysses <KM>
- Opt+space = Open Paste
- Shift+Opt+space = Activate Paste Stack
- Shift+Ctl+space = Show TextSoap popover
- Hyper+space = Open Toggl Plan <KM>
- Ctl+space = Toggl Plan quick entry <KM>
- Ctl+Opt+space = Invoke Hook
- Cmd+Ctl+Opt+space = Open SideNotes
- Cmd+Ctl+Opt+n = New note in SideNotes
- Cmd+Ctl+Opt+/ = Search SideNotes
- Cmd+\ = 1Password autofill
- Cmd+Opt+\ = Perform Alfred Universal Actions
- Cmd+Opt+Ctl+⬇️ = Open/search Workspaces
- Cmd+Opt+/ = Launch Textexpander
- Hyper+e = Launch email (Spark) <KM>
- Hyper+r = Launch feed reader (Reeder) <KM>
- Hyper+w = Launch web browser (Safari) <KM>
- Hyper+d = Launch DEVONthink <KM>
- Ctl+Opt+d = Launch Cardhop
- Hyper+m = Launch Messages <KM>
- Ctl+Opt+, = Launch Soulver <KM>
- Ctl+Opt+m = MindNode <KM>
- Ctl+Opt+/ = Open Alfred file browser
- Hyper+t = Trigger Keyboard Maestro macro <KM>
- Hyper+i = iStat Menus combined view
- Hyper+tab = Open Fantastical mini window
- Hyper+f = Search DEVONthink + local with DEVONsphere Express
- Hyper+s = Search the web with DEVONagent Pro
- Hyper+o = Search Ulysses <KM>
- Cmd+shift+space = Search 1Password
- Cmd+Opt+Ctl+f = Search DEVONthink <KM>
- Cmd+/ = Search TextExpander
- Ctl+Opt+d = Search contacts with Cardhop
- Cmd+space = Search Safari bookmarks with Alfred
- Cmd+space = Search web with Alfred
- Cmd+space, space = Search files with Alfred
- Hyper+g = Search and goto DEVONthink groups
- Opt+tab = Search open browser tabs with Tab Finder
- Hyper+t = Search Keyboard Maestro macros <KM>
- Cmd+Opt+G = Search Google Drive
- Ctl+space = Toggl Plan quick entry <KM>
- Hyper+` = Capture to DEVONthink