Ear readers, press play to listen to this page.
Not having the vocabulary to describe yourself and your loved ones is a tragedy. Our story of reframingWhen we successfully reframe public discourse, we change the way the public sees the world. We change what counts as common sense. Because language activates frames, new language is required... More disability and difference starts on our front page and continues via the “Continue” button at the bottom of each page in the journey.
Those who work their way through the course will have the understanding of neurodiversityNeurodiversity is the diversity of human minds, the infinite variation in neurocognitive functioning within our species.NEURODIVERSITY: SOME BASIC TERMS & DEFINITIONS Neurodiversity is a biological fact. It’s not a perspective, an approach, a... More, disability, neurodivergentNeurodivergent, sometimes abbreviated as ND, means having a mind that functions in ways which diverge significantly from the dominant societal standards of “normal.”NEURODIVERSITY: SOME BASIC TERMS & DEFINITIONS Neurodivergent is quite... More learning, and neurodivergent ways of being needed to become the allies we need.
The course includes lots of artThe arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly,... More, music, poetry, and more from our communityWhat I have always been hoping to accomplish is the creation of community.Community is magic. Community is power. Community is resistance.Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-First Century https://www.amazon.com/Disability-Visibility-First-Person-Stories-Twenty-First-ebook/dp/B082ZQBL98/ https://www.amazon.com/Disability-Visibility-Adapted-Young-Adults-ebook/dp/B08VFT4R9T/... More.
Take the journey. Reframe, and gain vocabulary for you and yours.
Why We Reframe
- 🌈♿️ Mutual Aid and Human-Centered Learning for Neurodivergent and Disabled People (9 minutes)
- Reframe Disability and Difference: We’re Going to Rewrite the Narratives (14 minutes)
- Happy Flappy (7 minutes)
- Pillars (3 minutes)
- ⛑ Mutual Aid: Real Help Against the Onslaught (13 minutes)
- ☂️ Community Care (10 minutes)
- ♿️📚The Need: Anti-Ableist Space for Human-Centered Learning (16 minutes)
- ❤️ The Answer: Reframing, Respectful Connection, and the Presumption of Competence (33 minutes)
- ⚡️🦅🌈 The Feeling: Electric Belonging and Soaring Inclusion (4 minutes)
- 📚 The Learning: Passion-Based, Human-Centered Learning Compatible With Neurodiversity and the Social Model of Disability (10 minutes)
- The Gift: Learning Disabilities Reframed (18 minutes)
- 🗂 Facts, Fire, and Feels: Research-Storytelling from the Edges (38 minutes)
- Questions for an Industry: Are You Disregarding Harm and Profiting From Our Misery? ( 17 minutes)
- Participatory, Emancipatory, Activist Research (29 minutes)
- Useful Autism Research: Welcome to This Very Important Update (31 minutes)
- 🧰✊ Services: Know Our Rights, These Are Our Rights (12 minutes)
Reframe Disability and Difference: We’re Going to Rewrite the Narratives
For those who click/tap “Start Here”, we thank you for starting the reframer’s journey. Take it at your own pace.
Estimated total readingThere are three types of reading: eye reading, ear reading, and finger reading.The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan: A Blueprint for Renewing Your Child's Confidence and Love of Learning Most schools and... More time: 263 minutes, about 4 and a half hours
We have protests to stage, driven by the fuel of our righteous anger. We have speeches to make, written from the soaring pleas of our individual and collective traumaIn expanding our definitions of trauma, we must make sure we see trauma as a structural issue, not just an individual one. Scholars now recognize what people from marginalized communities... More, and our wildest dreams of joy and freedom and love. We have cultural narratives to rewrite because they really do hate us and they really will kill us, and if we’re going to rewrite the narratives, then there’s no reason to hold ourselves back from our most radical and defiant rewritings. We have autisticAutistic ways of being are human neurological variants that can not be understood without the social model of disability.If you are wondering whether you are Autistic, spend time amongst Autistic people, online and offline. If... More children who need us to support them as architects of their own liberation against the schools and clinicians and institutions and police and prosecutors who would crush and destroy them.
We’re going to need our anger and our public celebrations of stimmingSelf-stimulatory behavior, also known as stimming and self-stimulation, is the repetition of physical movements, sounds, or words, or the repetitive movement of objects Stimming - Wikipedia Autistic adults highlighted the importance of stimming as... More and our complicated, imperfect, messy selves for this long and hard road, because we need all of us, and all of our tactics and strategies, to keep a movement going and ultimately, to win.Autistic Hoya — A blog by Lydia X. Z. Brown: The neurodiversity movements needs its shoes off, and fists up.