After taking a blogging break for the first two weeks of August, we came back primed with fresh There are three types of reading: eye reading, ear reading, and finger reading.The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan: A Blueprint for Renewing Your Child's Confidence and Love of Learning Most schools and... and new perspectives on previous reading.
- Unlearning Deficit Ideology and the Scornful Gaze
- Spiky Profiles, Peripheral Minds, and Evolutionary History
- Disability Dongles: Designing for the Individual, Not the Collective
- Kinetic Cognitive Style
- Peer Respite
- Emotion Matters in Alt Text: Text Descriptions and Emotion Rich Images
- Inclusion Through Options: There is no one size fits all when it comes to accessibility.
- Mind Is an Embodied Phenomenon: Neurodiversity Is About Bodyminds, Not Just Brains
- Rejecting the Good Cripple Mythos: This is why we need cripple punk.
- The Importance of Stimming as an Adaptive Coping Mechanism
- The 4 Stages of Psychological Safety: Defining the Path to Inclusion and Innovation – Timothy R. Clark
- We’re Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation – Eric M. Garcia
- Teaching Machines: The History of Personalized Learning – Audrey Watters
- Rolling Warrior: The Incredible, Sometimes Awkward, True Story of a Rebel Girl on Wheels Who Helped Spark a Revolution – Judith Heumann, Kristen Joiner
- Adults with Autism: Changes in Understanding Since DSM-111 | SpringerLink
- Ethical dimensions of translational developmental neuroscience research in autism
- Language, interests and autism: A tribute to Dr. Dinah Murray (1946–2021), an autism pioneer
- Autism, intense interests and support in school: from wasted efforts to shared understandings: Educational Review: Vol 73, No 1
- Monotropism – An Interest Based Account of Autism
- Full article: More on the ontological status of autism and double empathy
- No Spectrum 10k, Autistic People Don’t Want to Know the Cause and We Don’t Need to be Cured – The Unwritten
- An Autistic Person’s Concerns About Spectrum 10k — Authentically Emily
- The Dangers of Spectrum 10K – Sarah Boon
- The Call is Coming from Inside the House: White Supremacy and the Disability Community – Crutches and Spice
- In search of psychological safety | Autistic Collaboration
- For psychologists wanting to work with autistic people · Tania Melnyczuk
- NEUROTYPICAL PSYCHOTHERAPISTS & AUTISTIC CLIENTS – NEUROQUEER
- An alternative to the psych hospital, run by people in mental health recovery – NC Health News
- Twitter’s new font and Last of Us 2: an accessibility lesson to be learned | by Anna 4erepawko Mészáros | Aug, 2021 | UX Collective
- We’re Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation by Eric Garcia – The Washington Post
We sent US$13k to Neurodivergent, sometimes abbreviated as ND, means having a mind that functions in ways which diverge significantly from the dominant societal standards of “normal.”NEURODIVERSITY: SOME BASIC TERMS & DEFINITIONS Neurodivergent is quite... and The label "disabled" means so much to me. It means I have community. It means I have rights. It means I can be proud. It means I can affirm myself... people in August in support of their work and lives.
We did a week of peer respite on the Irie Smial Preserve with a burnt out neurosibling in mental health distress and housing crisis. They needed a break, a safe space, and peers who understood. We all helped each other and learned a lot.
We love the A peer-run respite center is a non-clinical, completely voluntary service operated by people with their own stories of mental health recovery, trauma, hospitalization, incarceration, substance use, homelessness or some combination... model and want to support folks in Texas doing this work. Contact us.
Our Blogging Queue
- We Long to Belong: In Search of Psychological safety is a condition in which you feel (1) included, (2) safe to learn, (3) safe to contribute, and (4) safe to challenge the status quo—all without fear of...
- Being Legible: Legibility as Social Status, Situational To not have conversations because they make you uncomfortable is the definition of privilege. Your comfort is not at the center of this discussion.Brené Brown Power can be understood as..., and Belonging
- Try Again: Mercy is Necessary to Learner Safety
- Online Classes Are an EquityA commitment to action: the process of redistributing access and opportunity to be fair and just.A way of being: the state of being free of bias, discrimination, and identity-predictable outcomes... Requirement: If Opening Schools Is About Equity, Why Aren’t We Listening to Those Most Impacted?
- Vestibular Issues with Parallax Scrolling and Transition Animations
- Psychological Safety in Families
- The Neurodivergent Experience in Josephmooon’s “So Far So Good”
- It’s Not Rocket Science: Considering and Meeting the Sensory Needs of Autistic ways of being are human neurological variants that can not be understood without the social model of disability.If you are wondering whether you are Autistic, spend time amongst Autistic people, online and offline. If... Children and Young People
- Craft, Monotropism is a theory of autism developed by autistic people, initially by Dinah Murray and Wenn Lawson.Monotropic minds tend to have their attention pulled more strongly towards a smaller number of interests at..., and Cognitive Styles
- Equity Versus EquityA commitment to action: the process of redistributing access and opportunity to be fair and just.A way of being: the state of being free of bias, discrimination, and identity-predictable outcomes...
- It’s About Equity
- Accessible, EquityA commitment to action: the process of redistributing access and opportunity to be fair and just.A way of being: the state of being free of bias, discrimination, and identity-predictable outcomes... Care work makes all other work possible. Putting care—not just care work, but care—at the center of our economy, our politics, is to orient ourselves around our interdependence. Care is...
- Disability DongleA well intended and elegant, yet useless solution to a problem we never knew we had. Disability Dongles are most frequently conceived of and created in design schools and... and Cultural Engagement
- Wheelchair Flow Patrol
- The Bipartisanship of Ultimately behaviorism provides a simplistic lens that can’t see beyond itself.Why is the doctrine of behaviorism still being used, at all?How can ABA be the gold-standard for autism when it...
- Practicing Pluralism refers to people of diverse and conflicting beliefs coexisting peaceably, linked by their adherence to a shared social contract which commits members of different groups to treating others fairly...: The primary aim of the minority stress model is to explain disparities in health between majority and stigmatized minority groups (Meyer 2003). Social stress theory hinges on the idea that..., Harm Reduction, and Triage
- Accommodation is fundamentally about not changing the person but changing the environment around the person.Normal Sucks: Author Jonathan Mooney on How Schools Fail Kids with Learning Differences Yet on a programmatic... and An emotional bid is when we do something to signal that we want attention and connectionEmotional bids are central to every kind of relationship – romantic, social and professional.The Most... in Neurodiverse Relationships
- Taking Control of the Masking is exhausting. Utterly utterly draining. I’ve had people say to me many times over the years “But WHY are you so tired? What have you been doing?” and I’ve...: Unmasking as a Spoiled Identity